I was not a generous person. I have always believed that charity begins at home and so, I am generous to my immediate family only. I never cared about the sufferings of other people around me. In fact, I sometimes feel that their sufferings were petty compared to all that I've been through. Now that I am consciously praying to be more generous, God is testing my determination. I have a neighbor who is an 80 year old lady. She asks for meals three times a day, everyday, and not only that, she borrows money everyday. She will enter our house without even knocking and just approach me or any of my children and sell her old clothes. She lives in a house with her daughter and granddaughter, both unemployed and not seeming to worry about it. My Mom complains to me everyday about our neighbor and it is really testing my patience. It is hard enough to control my annoyance when dealing with my 66 year old mother and now there's one more elderly who wants to be taken cared of, but Proverbs 18:16 said "A gift opens the way and ushers the giver into the presence of the great." I will accept this challenge. I will not be defeated by my insensitivity. I will be a generous person not because I want God to be more generous to me, but because Jesus asked me to love and that is what I will do. It is now my time to love.

No comments:
Post a Comment